Tuesday, July 8, 2014

ADVANCED "Guardians of the Galaxy" Review


Last night I was lucky enough to be invited to an advanced screening of footage from Guardians of the Galaxy. It was the first time i've gone to a pre-screener, and the whole process was surreal to me. I look forward to doing it again soon, but for now, i'm just enormously grateful for this opportunity.

Guardians of the Galaxy revolves around a band of criminal misfits in outer space who are on the run from the law with a mysterious artifact. They compose of Star-Lord, Rocket Raccoon, Gamora, Drax the Destroyer, and Groot.

(There won't be any spoilers, that goes against my beliefs). The footage I was presented involved the police line-up that we've seen in most of the trailers in which we are introduced to each of the Guardians, and then we witness their daring escape from prison which involves the Guardians initial interactions. Lastly, we saw the extended trailer that was released online this morning.

The aesthetic that director James Gunn has created is an all around thrill ride. It's funny, daring, and adventurous. It has the same feel as Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark with a cosmic MacGuffin search that really focuses on the relationships between the characters and not being all about the spectacle. You can tell that this band of rebels has absolutely no business being together, but that's half the fun. You can also see how having them work together will be enormously entertaining.

Chris Pratt fully embodies what we see of Star-Lord with a quick-wit, wise-ass charm, and he's a lot of fun. I can see how he's shedding his comedy background, and he could become a full fledged action star.

I was skeptical about the casting of Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon. I wasn't totally against it, but I would have preferred Jason Statham. But having seen what I have of Rocket, Cooper has what it takes to make the character more than just a side gag like the chimpanzee in Speed Racer. This was my primary concern. But I'm glad to see that they are taking Rocket in the right direction.

The visuals, the tone, the music all feels spectacular, and it merges together so perfectly to create something unlike anything we've really seen in a comic book movie before.

I'm very positive about this movie, I absolutely love what I saw. It could be one the best from Marvel.  But I still need to see the rest to judge.

A (For now).


No comments:

Post a Comment