Friday, March 21, 2014

"Muppets Most Wanted" Review


I may not have grown up with the Muppets in their original form, but I like most children of the 1990s grew up watching reruns of Muppet Babies. Over time, i've come to understand most of the mythology and who the characters are. So I know what the Muppets are supposed to feel like. The Muppets in 2011 had the right tone, the right story, and an excellent balance of old and new to reintroduce the characters to a modern audience. So how does the sequel fare?

Muppets Most Wanted begins LITERALLY right where the last movie left off. Hot off their comeback show, the Muppets are approached by Dominic Badguy who offers to take them on a world tour. Little do the Muppets know, he is really the sidekick to Constantine, the world's number one criminal, most dangerous frog, and who happens to look a lot like Kermit.

One would think an adult would appreciate the Muppets merely for nostalgic purposes, but really, it's because they are timeless. They resort to the gags that we've seen time and time again, and anywhere else it would feel like lazy writing. But when the Muppets do it, it feels natural because they are a classic staple that they themselves have used so many times before. It's blending old sight gags and new complex jokes that keep adults interested both because they are funny, and because it's the Muppets. And who can hate the Muppets.

Of course the story is nothing spectacular. It's just a classic caper tale mixed with Muppet hijinks, celebrity cameos, and EXTREMELY clever songs. It has just enough of those to keep you happy. And they get away with it because once again they are the Muppets, and at their core, they are all about the classics. Plus the dialogue is so snappy and smart, it engages the mind with all the cute references. It might not be as entertaining as the first one, but as this film itself outright says, sequels normally aren't.

Where I must debit the film just a tad, is the same problem that I had with the previous film.  It mainly focuses on a handful of the Muppets, particularly Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear Sam the Eagle and newcomer Walter. It doesn't really give too much to do for the secondary Muppets. I myself am a pretty big fan of Gonzo, I would have enjoyed seeing a little bit more of him. If I had to put it in a word, it would be balance.

I myself am no good at puppetry. But through my time at SUNY New Paltz, I have met people who are. One in particular, my friend Spencer Cohen, may be the biggest Muppet fan I have ever met. He also happens to be exceptional at the craft. So in addition to giving him a shout out here, I want to say that I know that it is something difficult to master.

That is why I must give praise to the puppeteers behind the characters. When you watch Muppets Most Wanted, you never really feel like you're looking at hands operating pieces of felt, you feel like you're looking at living characters who just happen to be in a movie. The Muppets are bigger than just characters, they literally transcend the screen, thanks to the efforts of puppeteers such as Steve Whitmire, Eric Jacobson, Dave Goelz, Bill Barretta, and so many more.

While it may not fulfill all you want, nor exceed expectations, Muppets Most Wanted is a thoroughly entertaining film with clever songs, gags, cameos, and fun for all ages.

B+

No comments:

Post a Comment