Wednesday, March 12, 2014

"Mr. Peabody & Sherman" Review


I have a certain nostalgia for The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show. When I was a young boy staying home sick from St Joseph's School, my mom rented a VHS of the show from Alice in Videoland. I thought it was absolutely hilarious seeing this show about a moose and his flying squirrel pal and all the segments including Dudley Do-Right of the Mounties, Fractured Fairly Tales, and of course Peabody's Improbable History. Before I start my review, just take a quick look at how much silly fun Rocky and Bullwinkle were.


Getting back on track, Mr Peabody & Sherman is based on the Peabody segments of the show. Mr Peabody is the world's smartest being, despite the fact that he is a dog. He obtains special permission from the courts to adopt a human boy named Sherman. Together, they have travels back in time to the important parts of history using Mr. Peabody's time travel invention: the WABAC. When Sherman tries to show-off to his classmate Penny, he causes trouble that could unravel the very fabric of time.

The film is clearly targeted toward a younger demographic, as it rightfully should. However, there is just enough substance and maturity to keep adults invested. (A particular gag involving Bill Clinton had me falling out of my seat.) The historical aspects of the film serve to educate in an entertaining matter, without going to heavy into "school mode." It has a unique visual style as to sight gags, and humor emerges from the history if you know enough about it to understand. I was also very impressed by the conflict that is created when the characters debate the logic of a dog being a father to a child. It's surprisingly deep and thought provoking, yet it may be a little much for children to pick up on.

The film does suffer some in the third act. Even with the accepting of the premise, some of the time travel logic is rather confusing. I found myself trying to put some of the pieces together, and it took me a little bit out of the experience. Eventually, I just went with it. The logic is rather sloppy, but seeing as it's a children's movie, I'll give it a Mulligan.

Out of the entire cast of Modern Family, Ty Burrell is easily my favorite and one of the stronger performers. He is wondrously goofy, yet likable in his role of Phil Dunphy. As Mr. Peabody, his recognizable voice crafts a magnificently cool and intelligent character that lights up the screen. Burrell modernizes Peabody in way that makes him interesting, and does nothing to ruin the classic character. He does Peabody great justice.

It's a good movie, but not great. It certainly honors the legacy of The Rocky and Bullwinkle show, but the film deters a little too much towards the end.

B-

No comments:

Post a Comment