Thursday, February 6, 2014

"Our RoboCop Remake" Review


Let me tell you a story. One of my favorite film franchises of all time is Die Hard. The original is so very high on my all time favorite films list. Last February, the fifth film in that franchise, A Good Day to Die Hard, was released and it was awful. It nearly ruined the entire franchise for me. So in response, I wrote my own version of the original film, shortened it to about 10-15 minutes, and performed it with my classmates live on stage as part of my Theater Workshop final at Ulster County Community College. It had Super Soakers, walkie talkies, I even died my hair to more resemble Bruce Willis. While it was hardly something I would call groundbreaking, my classmates and I did our best to keep alive the spirit of the original film to pay respect, and we received positive feedback.

The makers of Our RoboCop Remake, produced by David Seger, have done something along those lines, but on a much grander scale. In anticipation of the new RoboCop movie, and the perceived lesser quality it will have in relation to the original 1987 film, they have created a full length remake of their own. It compromises of several vignettes that both retell the story of the original film, and have fun with it at the same time.

Let me be clear, Our RoboCop Remake isn't going to change the world, make waves, or stop the general public from seeing the new film. But I will be damned if it isn't one of the most entertaining things I have seen in a while.

The actors and writers behind this effort clearly have a magnificent amount of passion and budding talent. While they could have simply done a shot for shot remake of the original film, they choose to skewer some of the more outlandish ideas and components resulting in a laugh riot, which at the same time is inspiring to someone attempting to pursue a career in the field, such as myself.

The amount of professionalism seen in the vignettes is astounding, particularly in the sketches by Team Tiger Awesome who choreograph a wondrously artistic representation of Alex Murphy's murder, Fatal Farm's magnificently staged rapist confrontation which includes some of the best use of squibs in recent history, and our good friends over at Screen Junkies who stage a hilarious convenience store robbery. The utilization of classic hollywood filmmaking techniques is very well appreciated.

It isn't perfect (then again, neither was the 1987 original) but I found myself wildly entertained by Our RoboCop Remake. Be sure to check it out. You can watch it here, FREE!

A-

No comments:

Post a Comment