Thursday, February 13, 2014

Andrew's 2014 Oscar Predictions

It's that time of year again. The moment that my reviews build up to every single year. Due to the death of my dear Grandma Bridie, I didn't release my predictions last year. As the anniversary of that  time approaches again, I both mourn her loss once more, and I understand that life goes on. So here we go.

As I did 2 years ago, I will not be calling every category, just the major ones. If you wish to inquire my predictions for categories not listed, simply message me here or on Facebook or Twitter.

Best Visual Effects- When Buzz Aldrin, a man who has actually been to Outer Space, says that the special effects in a movie are so eerily real that they nearly fooled him, the answer becomes a no brainer. Gravity is all but assured to float away with this one.

Best Adapted Screenplay- While The Wolf of Wall Street certainly had a great story to tell, it's length may be it's undoing.  Therefore, I'm saying that this one will most likely go to 12 Years A Slave.

Best Original Screenplay- There was certainly a lot of creativity this year with the original screenplays. Be it 1970s hustlers, the adaptation of Ron Woodruff's harrowing story, the return home to Nebraska, or Woody Allen's newest hit. But the thought provoking look at where our society is headed will certainly give Her a boost to grab the trophy.

Best Original Song- I'll be the first to admit that my music knowledge is not as strong as my movie knowledge. That being said, theres a good chance I'll be wrong in this one, and I'm certainly in the minority with my pick. I feel that "Ordinary Love" by U2 from Mandela: The Long Walk to Freedom is most deserving of the trophy. However, there's a strong possibility that the award will go to "Let it Go" from Frozen. (Yes, I have heard Let it Go, but I still stand behind U2.)

Best Animated Feature: I didn't have to see it to know that Frozen will win.

Best Cinematography- There is nothing to rival the sheer brilliance of the camera work and cinematography in Gravity. The majesty of the sights and that 10 minute opening shot alone all but guarantee this winner.

Best Director- Above all, Gravity is a director's picture. Everything that Alfonso CuarĂ³n was able to achieve makes him the most deserving candidate.

Best Supporting Actress- The female acting categories are more difficult to call then the male. Lupita Nyong'o was certainly a highlight in 12 Years A Slave, but voters seem to leaning more towards Jennifer Lawrence for her role in American Hustle. So while it could either way, expect the 23 year old to walk away with her second trophy in as many years.

Best Supporting Actor- For 2014, this is easily Andrew's 100% Guarantee. I am EXTREMELY confident that Jared Leto will take the stage for his mesmerizing turn as the transexual Rayon in Dallas Buyers Club. The other nominees did well, but this one is too easy.

Best Actress- This one isn't as close as the supporting category, but still anything is possible. Amy Adams was shone quite brightly in American Hustle, but most buzz is going towards Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine. So while Adams could pull an upset, this is Blanchett's to lose.

Best Actor- Leonardo DiCaprio will win an Oscar someday, just not this year. This one will most certainly be for Matthew McConaughey in Dallas Buyers Club. This was certainly one of the better transformative roles in a long while, and McConaughey gave one of the most well rounded performances this entire year.

And Now Best Picture

This is way too close to call. But in my opinion, there are only three real competitors for the prize. Those would be American Hustle, 12 Years A Slave, and Gravity. 12 Years was a rich time spanning story with great acting and authenticity, even if it made some viewers a bit uneasy. Hustle is certainly a pride picture full of twists, turns, and extraordinary design. And Gravity is simply a mesmerizing self-exploration piece that is well handled in all respects. At this point, the trophy could go to any one of them. But if I had to choose, and I could be wrong, I would expect this one to go to 12 Years A Slave.

No comments:

Post a Comment