Monday, October 28, 2013

ORIGINAL "Captain America: The First Avenger" Review

The following is my original review of Captain America: The First Avenger as it originally appeared when the film was first released. This was before I started this blog, or developed my now trademark review format. I will be re-watching the film and writing a better review shortly before Captain America: The Winter Soldier is released this coming April, but given that promotional material for that film is now emerging, I thought it would be fun to see my immediate thoughts from the first film. The remainder of this article consists of my original review.


Finally.

I have stated that this is the one I’ve been waiting for. Was I disappointed like I was with “Green Lantern”, or was it everything I hoped it would be?

Gladly, it was the latter.

Captain America is my favorite Marvel superhero. I wanted this one done right. Luckily, the man behind the camera was Joe Johnston. The visionary man who designed the Millenium Falcon, and came up with the Indiana Jones desert truck scene. He does not disappoint.

There were so many names being tossed around for the role of Steve Rogers. When I heard they had cast Chris Evans, a man with little more under his belt than “Not Another Teen Movie”, “Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World”, and the comedic Human Torch in the awful “Fantastic Four” series, I was shocked. All fear is put to rest, as Evans gives a fine performance full of heart and courage for the little guy.

The plot works. The exciting hero of of World War II, fighting Nazis and bringing democracy to the world is lifted from the pages of Marvel Comics, and becomes a cinematic roller coaster.

There are nods to all the little things in the mythos that makes Captain America great. The “Hitler Punch”, the pajama costume, the triangle shield. They all get their homage, which shows how ridiculous they were in the first place, but if they weren’t there, I would have been disappointed.

I won’t go into details about the story, but I will say the ending made me cry.

Sebastian Stan makes for a terrific Bucky. The update from the Robin wannabe to the the adult sniper of recent stories is chillingly well appreciated. And at least one person from Gossip Girl can act. (cough)

Tommy Lee Jones is the star-power of this film. Playing the hard nosed colonel we see in every military movie since the days of Chaplin. However, it is not dull. Jones is his own man. He falls not into a cliche. I would pay to hear him read from the phone book.

Hugo Weaving. What can I say. There is no one else I could imagine to play The Red Skull. (Except maybe Christoph Waltz, but he can’t play Nazis forever.) His performance is a refreshing nostalgia to the old time villains killing for what he needs, even if he doesn’t need to. He is hauntingly terrific. And that makeup is a work of art.

Stanley Tucci exudes excellence from every word. I will say no more.

All in all, Captain America is a perfect film. I adored every single frame of film. A retro pro-USA movie, a “lets all root for the little guy”, an exciting work of art, pure magic. 

10 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment