Saturday, April 12, 2014

"My Other Passion" by Andrew Woltman


If you can believe this, there is something that I enjoy just as much as movies, and this will most likely be the only time I talk about a subject beyond the silver screen. Even longer than I have been analytically watching movies, I've been watching Late Night television. Up to this day, every time I'm near a TV at 11 PM, you'll certainly see me watching Conan, and at 11:34, you'll see me switching back and forth between Conan, The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon, and Late Show with David Letterman. As I fall asleep, I'll be watching Late Night with Seth Meyers. I know that sounds very non-committal, but the reason is that every late night comedian has their own unique style and delivery that sets each one apart. However, there is one thing that they have in common. Almost every Late Night comedian has the same influence, and rightfully so. The undisputed master. 

Johnny Carson. I was born in November 1992, some six months after Carson signed off The Tonight Show, so I unfortunately never got to see him while he was on the air. But thanks to our ever growing internet databases and YouTube, I have seen plenty of his work. The Art Fern's, the Carnac's, the interviews, the monologues, so much of what made him the King of Late Night. His warm, welcoming style, and his charming demeanor made his guests feel comfortable. Throughout all the hardships, the uncertainty, The Vietnam War, Watergate, the gas shortage, for 30 years the only common denominator was coming home to watch Johnny Carson at night. Johnny was hilarious at what he did, but what he especially excelled at was selling his guests. He never tried to overshadow them, he had the right timing to let their jokes sink into the audience. Johnny was the comedian, but also the straight man. At the beginning of the show, if the jokes didn't work, the audience didn't mind, because they were there for Johnny.

"At the end of the day, the guy you wanted there was Johnny Carson. What a tremendous luxury, when you think about, to be tucked in at night by Johnny Carson." -David Letterman 


Carson forged the mold that almost every talk show host uses now. Be it Conan, Fallon, Meyers, Letterman, Ferguson, Kimmel, they all use the same basic structure. Especially through the use of a sidekick. For Conan O'Brien, you have Andy Richter. For Jimmy Fallon, you have Steve Higgins. Seth Meyers has Fred Armisen. Letterman has Paul Schaffer. Craig Ferguson, has his robot sidekick Geoff Peterson. And Jimmy Kimmel has his parking lot security guard, Guillermo Rodriguez. 

They all have excellent chemistry and they all work well together, but I don't think any have the same level of a connection that Johnny had with his sidekick Ed McMahon. While Johnny played straight man to his guests, Ed did it for Johnny. He sold his role magnificently with his famous laughter, his booming "Hi-Yo!," and the way that he welcomed America home every night of the week with that immortal "Heeere's Johnny!" They would poke fun and tease one another to the end, but there was no denying that friendship.


"It is impossible I think, for anyone to imagine the ‘Tonight Show With Johnny Carson' without Ed McMahon. Ed's laugh was really the soundtrack to that show. For 30 years, Ed played his part perfectly, he played it with effortless joy and sitting alongside Johnny, Ed was an indelible part of what I think is the most iconic two-shot in broadcasting history. There will never be anything like that again." -Conan O'Brien

However, good things must come to an end, and in 1992, Carson stepped down. And though Johnny, and the nation all believed that his rightful heir to The Tonight Show was David Letterman, NBC chose to give the reins to....well, someone else. With that, David left his post at 12:35 and took his own program at CBS against the Tonight Show where he remains to this day. With his spot vacant at NBC, they scrambled to find a replacement, and so ushered in my personal Idol, Mr. Conan O'Brien. 


I started watching Conan O'Brien back in 2006 when I was hanging out with my uncle and he showed me some clips on the internet. I remember specifically watching a video of Conan taking a camera crew to the famous Famous FAO Schwarz and playing around with the toys and making jokes with the employees. There was something so appealing about seeing this tall awkward man act silly with his guests and make fun of himself more than anyone, and his magnificent pride in his Irish Heritage. It reminded me of myself. So as often as I could, I began staying up to watch this hilarious red head with his stockade of characters, and his rip-roaringly funny sketches.  (Bear in mind, this was before I had DVR.)

Eight years, three shows, a controversy at NBC later, I still tune in every night Monday through Thursday at 11 PM to watch Conan on TBS. Like Carson before him, Conan knows how to be both the silly comedian, and the patient straight man. In his "Live via Satellite" routines or his little sides in his monologues where he talks to his regular players in their characters or as themselves, such as Brian Stack, Deon Cole, Andres du Bouchet, Scott Chernoff, many more, Conan will let them sell their bit, make the punchline, and use his timing to help them showcase their talent. He'll point out the absurdities of what the characters have to say, but he'll make sure they get to say it, and have fun at the same time. 

We are entering a new age of the Late Night era. Jimmy Fallon (from my native Hudson Valley area) has taken over the Tonight Show, and in doing so, he has incorporated social media into his bits. He plays games with his guests and has them do silly tricks which become viral videos within 24 hours. Seth Meyers has taken over Late Night and while some think it is simply an expanded version of his  Weekend Update from Saturday Night Live, Meyers is doing what he does best and at the same time making it feel a bit more homely and traditional. 

But the biggest change is that David Letterman is retiring next year, and being replaced by the subversively satirical Stephen Colbert. Whilst Dave was never my favorite host, I always preferred him to.....er.....uh.....the person who was given The Tonight Show instead of him. Whenever I spent the night at Grandma Bridie and Papa Tom's, Dave was there at 11:34. I always loved his Top 10 lists, his Stupid Pet tricks, his back and forth with band leader Paul, plus his unrelenting honesty. Sure, he had his controversies, but he is the one who put them in the open. I will miss Dave. But I'm happy they hired someone who has a unique talent combined with a respect for the art. 

For the movie fan such as me, there is something special that late night television also does through interviews. It introduces us to the stars, let's us hear their down to earth human stories whilst making the rounds to promote their movies. They'll even reveal some of the processes they went through to make their film, and their mindset as they were doing a particular scene. It makes the experience in the cinema feel that much more real, knowing that you've gotten inside the star's head, if only for 4 minutes. 

So there you have it. My love for Late Night television exposed. I'll keep watching these shows until the day I die, and i'll always remember the history and legacy of those who came before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment