Saturday, November 2, 2013

ORIGINAL "Thor" Review

Once more, I've dug into my archives and unearthed my original Thor review written before the formation of the blog. Again, this was prior to my development of my now trademark review pattern and grammar skills. I am republishing now seeing as Thor: The Dark World is opening this week. I will be re-reviewing the original film in my newly established standard within the next week. However, let's take a trip down memory lane and see my on the spot thoughts. The rest of this post is my original, unedited, review. 


The first question. Was "Thor" worth waiting 2 hours in an empty food court, and shelling out $13 to see in 3D in a mall movie theater at midnight, filled with stoners giggling about some Tyler Perry poster in the lobby? 

Absolutely. 

Last year, I went into "Iron Man 2" with major expectations. When I left the theater, I was pleased, but I felt somewhat cheated. Like something was missing. "Thor" not only fulfilled every expectation, it exceeded those I didn’t know I had. It felt like a more like a movie and less like the “Easter egg hunt” that "Iron Man 2" turned out to be. "Thor" has it’s eggs to be sure, but none that distract from the story. 

The absolute breakout star of the film is Chris Hemsworth. No question. He begins as an arrogant, self-serving, war hungry warrior. It’s clear and charismatic, and not filled with underlying tones that you need to look for. When he is on Earth, he finds himself, learns who he needs to be, yadda, yadda, yadda. What keeps you from being bored with such a common film trope, is Hemsworth’s charm and epiphany that you nearly see through the characters eyes. It feels unique, even though you’ve seen it in almost every movie ever made. 

Tom Hiddleston is the perfect casting for Loki. The best comparison of his character would be the version of Voldemort that we see in "Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets". He seems innocent, and you get the feeling that he is trying to help you. But when you least expect him too, he reveals his true colors. He doesn’t show them for quite some time, but it’s a fun ride to take. 

I could go on about every character, but you won’t hear anything you don’t hear from any other critic. “Natalie Portman is cute and witty.” “Anthony Hopkins is a great, authoritative, domineering Odin.” Blah, blah, blah. 

What I do want to point out is Kat Dennings character “Darcy”. She really pissed me off. The simple minded jokes, and comic relief are not necessary from her, the film has humor moments without her. She feels too much like a scripted pander to mainstream audiences. While she succeeds in that respect, she fails to be interesting to those who simply enjoy good acting. 

The special effects don’t feel like your run of the mill eye-candy, they feel like a pure work of art. They dazzle, enchant, and bring you into a world of fantasy, as though you could actually go there and experience it first hand. 

The battle sequences rival those in Lord of the Rings, with bold stunts, and more than simple wire-work. 

The music sets the mood perfectly, and the costumes are extravagant and elegant. 

All-in-all, Thor is pure Asgardian gold. The story will keep you on the edge of your seat until the last production logo fades off the screen and the lights turn on. (Hint: Stay after the credits.) If you do not like Thor, there is something terribly wrong with you. 10 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment